If moving goods into and out of the UK it’s important you register for the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS) to avoid customs delays and interruptions to your supply chain.
HMRC has introduced the Customs Declaration Service to replace the existing Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system. More information about the CDS and the changes can be found on the gov.uk website here.
How to register
To register for the service, you must take the following steps:
- Apply for an EORI number if you don’t already have one. This can be done here
- Register for a Government Gateway account to access the CDS. You can register here
- Register for the Customs Declaration Service. This can be done here
Important to note
The CDS uses a separate HMRC bank account to CHIEF, meaning a new Direct Debit will need to be established. If you have your own deferment account then you will need to re-authorise Meachers to use this account. This can be done via the Customs Declaration Service Finance Dashboard.
- Instant payment – Pay for imports declared using the Customs Declaration Service online.
- Cash account – Use a cash account for Customs Declaration Service declarations.
- Individual guarantee – Use individual guarantees to cover customs duties for one-off or high value imports.
- General guarantee account – Use a general guarantee account to cover any import duty due on goods when they enter the UK and pay disputed amounts.
Need further help and guidance?
Meachers has over 60 years’ experience and expertise in moving, storing and managing imports and exports and is best placed to help your supply chain transition through changes to legislation.
For further help and guidance on registering for the CDS, or support with logistics, warehousing or freight forwarding, please contact us on 023 8073 9999 or email [email protected]